Welcome to the Irish Voters Decide website. This website provides updates to the tables and graphs of Professor Richard Sinnott’s 1995 book, Irish Voters Decide: Voting Behaviour in Elections and Referendums Since 1918 (Dublin: Manchester University Press). It is intended to provide readers with some background context to Irish elections and referendums.
The site is organised around the chapters of the book, updating the original charts and tables and adding new material where possible. The section of the site are:
- Demographics (Chapter 1)
- Party portraits (Chapter 2)
- Parties and voters (Chapter 3 – updated 1 March 2016)
- General election outcomes (Chapter 4 – updated 2 March 2016)
- Evidence from aggregate data (Chapter 5 – updated 4 March 2016)
- The voters: volatility, loyalty and party perceptions (Chapter 6 – updated 2 February 2016)
- The voters: criteria, issue concerns and class contrasts (Chapter 7)
- Transfer patterns (Chapter 8)
- Referendum voting (Chapter 9)
- Second-order elections (Chapter 10 – updated 27 January 2016)
Chart and tables are being added regularly to the site in the run-up to the 2016 election, and will be updated both after this election and subsequent elections and referendums, so please check back.